Ultraman and (More) Godzilla Coming to Netflix


No, I didn't forget about this blog! A few factors are responsible for the month-long drought: preparing for my G-Fest panel, working on a massive Miki Saegusa article... and the general lack of news. G-Fest is still a week away and I don't know exactly when I'll be done with Miki, but Netflix has taken care of the third problem.

The second installment of the Godzilla anime trilogy, Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle, will "finally" become available to stream worldwide on July 18. Like Planet of the Monsters, this is exactly two months after its debut in Japanese theaters. It only feels like so long because the Hollywood Reporter accidentally made the entire fandom think it was coming in mid-June. The buzz around this one has been pretty awful, but hey, it's a new Godzilla movie. I already know I'll be watching it as soon as I'm conscious.

City on the Edge of Battle's release date was just a formality; the real news from Netflix is their acquisition of the upcoming Ultraman anime. It's another 3DCG effort, but from Production I.G. and Sola Digital Arts instead of Polygon Pictures. The source material is a manga by Eiichi Shimizu and Tomohiro Shimoguchi about the son of the original Ultraman's human host. Taking a page from Toho's book, it functions only as a sequel to Ultraman, although versions of other Ultras still show up. I wish it put the kyodai in kyodai hero a bit more -- even the manga's version of Red King is only ten meters tall -- but I've enjoyed what I've read so far.

Netflix will distribute the anime in spring 2019. I have to say, I expected Crunchyroll to get it, but the rights to the Ultra Series on this side of the pond have become more diffused as of late.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outerman is Outta Sight

When Toku first launched in 2017, it seemed like a cruel joke: an obscure cable channel broadcasting Ultraman shows never before availa...